Ah, music!! These are my top 10.
10) Misery Business by Paramore. I listen to this when I've had a bad day, it always puts a smile on my face!
9) Bob by NOFX. Love this catchy little tune.
8) Glycerine by Bush. I dated a guy that looked like Gavin and he sang this to me a few times. This song will forever haunt my memories.
7) Saturday Night by Wigfield. This was my best friend and mines jam in high school. We were by NO means into techno, but this was our song to get ready too! Makes you wanna DANCE :)
6)(I'm gonna be) 500 Miles by The Proclaimers. Saw Benny and June as a teen and fell in love with the movie and became obsessed with this song.
5) Dirty Glass by The Dropkick Murphys. My fav Dropkick Murphys song.
4) How Soon is Now by Morrissey. I often find myself singing "I am human and I need to be loved..." plus it's from The Craft and it's Charmeds theme song!
3) Saturday Night by The Misfits. LOVE this little haunting love song. There is also a great cover by a girl named Emily Bones from the band The Mittenz.
2) Kiss with a Fist by Florence + The Machine. Love this womans voice and she seems to have alot of fun with this song vocally.
1) The Man who Sold the World by Nirvana. I am to this day still a Nirvana fan. This was the first "real" band that I came to love on my own. You could say my first real taste of music. I just have to hear the first few chords of this song and I'm 14 again with my big yellow Walkman and flannel shirt on, hanging out in laneways.
Hmmmm.. this is a hard one.... my music interests change with the seasons lol.....
1) I don't wanna miss a thing by Aerosmith... who doesn't like at least one of their songs????
2) I loved the graduations song....
3) Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen... i mean come on.. its Queen! lol I discovered this one at age 11 and it stuck lol
4) Anything by 30 seconds to mars! picking one is hard.. but id say A beautiful lie.
5) Blue (Da Ba Dee) by Eifflel 65.... still sing along to it as I'm driving down the road lol
6) Mercy by Duffy
7) Compromise by Smile Empty Soul
8) Somebody That I used to Know by Gotye
9) Banner (sixsicksix remix) by LIGHTS
10) Crystallize (dubstep violin) by Lindsey Stirling ...Cause it is just beautiful..
there are way to many to choose from! but here ya go.. my top ten :)
love #'s 6 and 8!!! I cannot get sick of that Gotye song!
In no particular order because my favourite song changes depending on my mood, and there is no way I have only 10 fave songs, so here are 10 *of* my favourites :
10. Set Fire To The Rain - Adele - gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it , love all/most of her stuff anyway.
9. Wouldn't It Be Nice - Beach Boys feel good classic
8. Wonderwall - Oasis - *lots* of memories of Highschool with this one.
7. ABC - Jackson 5- Loved this one from early childhood until this very day! 1 2 3 baby ooh ooh
6. Use Somebody - Kings of Leon - one of my fave bands, hard to pick just one song. This list would be so much easier if it were top 10 bands!
5. Nuthin But A G Thang - Still have this one on heavy rotation on my mp3 player.
4. Under Pressure - Queen and David Bowie - can't we give love one more chance?!?!?!? Freddie Mercury had one of the best voices ever , hands down.
3.Landslide - All versions but partial to the original stevie nicks rocks!
2. All Apologies - Nirvana - something about this song has always spoken to me , all alone is all we are.
1. Mr. Brightside - the Killers - The Killers have always been one of my fave bands.
This is a *great* list. Still working on mine...
Love Under Pressure and Wonderwall!!!
Ok....this was *ridiculously* hard. Have you any idea how many albums are in my home, on vinyl, CD, cassette or in iTunes? And for the purposes of this list I narrowed it down to Rock/Pop, because if I had to toss in Classical, Jazz, etc. etc. etc. it would never be finished. Also, like so many others have suggested, this might be a very different list in, say, the winter months. (Pretty sure the top 5 are more or less cut in stone, though.) And lastly, if there was more than one choice for any given artist, I just picked my favourite and removed that artist from further consideration. This actually made a difference to a couple of choices.
Ok, enough making excuses. Here are my top 10, in reverse order.
10: Watching the River Run - Loggins & Messina
9: Tangled-Up Puppet (Song for Jamie) - Harry Chapin
8: A Routine Day - Klaatu
7: Mercury Blues - David Lindley
6: Superstition - Stevie Wonder
5: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding - Elvis Costello
4: Moondance - Van Morrison
3: Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
2: The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
And my favourite song of all time:
1: Levon - Elton John
Here, for no particular reason, are the top 5 that didn't make the cut: All Uncovered - The Watchmen; Pressure Drop - Toots and the Maytalls; Still the Night - BoDeans; Wheat Kings - The Tragically Hip; and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Live Version from Rattle & Hum) - U2.
I now have a headache. Time to soothe it with scotch, methinks. ;)
A small correction: the song "Tangled Up Puppet" doesn't have a hyphen in it (I checked!) and also it's subtitled "Song TO Jaime". Not "for" and not "Jamie". If it's on this important a list, you'd think I'd have known that. Sheesh.
Jason suggested I link to my own blog where I have embedded videos for each song and given a brief explanation as to why I chose it.
I'll link back from there to here as well.
Love Costello and Simon and Garfunkle favourite Sir Reginald song is probably Tiny Dancer. Was hard to keep it off the list.
Simon and Garfunkel would probably make my top 10 bands list for sure! And Levon is my fave elton john song!
I did this a while ago on Facebook. If I remember correctly my top 10 are:
1. Losing my Religion - REM
2. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
3. Picture This - Blondie
4. Hurricane - Bob Dylan
5. Perfect - Fairground Attraction
6. Sunshine on Leith - The Proclaimers
7. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel
8. Wonderwall - Oasis
9. Walking on Broken Glass - Annie Lennox
10. Apron Strings - Everything but the Girl
Love some of these songs too. I love Walking on Broken Glass by Annie Lennox, and Simon and Garfunkle and Oasis Wonderwall
10. Harry Chapin - Mr. Tanner
Harry Chapin was the first artist that spoke to me at a very young age.
Mr. Tanner is a great story told to music.
9. Led Zeppelin - Ramble on
I think we all went through a Led Zep phase but still to this day I crank this song up whenever it's on the radio.
8. The Who - Pinball Wizard
I loved the movie and the song as a teen.
7. Pink Floyd - The Wall
The entire album and movie. When I realized The Wall was about the band and how they couldn't deal with the success of Dark Side of the Moon I fell in love with every song and every scene of the movie.
6. Barenaked Ladies - The old Apartment
Come on they mention the Danforth.
5. The Tragically Hip - Wheat Kings
I love the hip and this song is special because I remember how glued my family was to the injustice of this stroy.
4. REM - Man the Moon
I was a huge Andy Kaufman fan and I loved how REM showed how Andy's style of comedy related to other things we take at face value.
3. Nirvana - In Bloom
Love him or not Cobain changed rock and roll forever.
2. Pearl Jam - Black
Perfect I just got my heart broken song.
1. Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
From drummer for Nirvana to front man in Foo fighters. Might just be my favorite artist off all time.
Another great list. Love to see Chapin on someone else's top 10!
Ahhh the Wall. Great Movie and by far the GREATEST album ever made, in my opinion. Love everything about it and never tire of listening to it.
George Michael - Teacher
Marianne Faithfull - Ballad Of Lucy Jordan
Pink Floyd - Comfortably numb
Matchbox 20 - Unwell
Supertramp - Give a Little Bit
Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror
Pink - Who Knew
Oasis - Wonderwall
Hoobastank - The Reason
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
Damn, Now I see everyone's picks and realize if left out BNL, Harry Chapin, Van Morrison and Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water etc etc This was tough
It was DAMN tough! I notice you left out another band, too. Surprised! ;)
Way too tough! I have another 5 top 10's lol.
It is always fun to sit and think of the music you love. Then you usually start to listen to the music you love.
Wow, Val. I missed the "Ballad of Lucy Jordan" on my first reading. I absolutely love that song. The unresolved chord at the end that symbolizes "forever..." - just brilliant. I first heard it in the movie "Montenegro" and rushed out and bought the "Broken English" album mostly for that song. Great album, glad I bought it!
Here ya go Jase. Im sure I forgot one 1 or 40 of them....
1) Fade to Black- Metallica
2) Fool in the Rain- Led Zeppelin
3) Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd
4) Master of Puppets- Metallica
5) Come Sail Away- Styx
6) Ride On- Ac/Dc
7) One- Metallica
8) November Rain- Guns N Roses
9) Wild World- Cat Stevens
10) One and Only- Adele
I do have to add Maybe Im Amazed - Paul McCartney to that list somewhere. And I love James Durbins version of it !!!
I love all these songs too. And Maybe I'm amazed
Ha Ha I like them but top 10......naaa
to each his own. Different generations....different tastes
LOL that was not commented towards u Valerie. Sorry!!!
Ha Ha I like them but top 10......naaa
This comment was for Steve
N P Tobie, is it becoming confusing or is it just me having a senior moment? lol
I also love Harry Chapin - Mail Order Annie
Did you ever see him live, Val? One of my favourite performers of all time. His studio albums couldn't hold a candle to his live stuff for some reason. I saw him five times in a couple of years and had tickets for a sixth show when he was killed. :(
yes, a few times. He was Brian and Sherry's first ever concert. Saw him at Ontario Place, Massey Hall and Convocation Hall - U of T. I was on my way to the airport when I heard the news. I was shocked, devastated and then numb.
Wow! I think we were at all the same concerts! I saw him for the first time at Convocation Hall and then never missed an appearance again until he died. I was at work with tickets for a show later that year when my girlfriend called me, crying. I saw him at the O'Keefe Centre, too, and I think that's where he was returning when he died, but I don't remember for sure. They put on the absolute best shows; I miss him and his band a lot.
its confusing!! I dont blog so idk wth Im doing lol
this is hard cuz after my first few there are so many I love and should have added!!
I love all the lists it is great to see different tastes but a lot of similarities too. It is funny because a lot of my top 10 are groups I don't love but they have songs that I love.
Tobie I LOVE One and Only- Adele Wish they would start playing it on the radio!! Great bluesy / soulful song.
Mine for those that didnt go check my page
1) Everything I do I do it for you- Bryan Adams
2) Wonder Wall-Oasis
3) Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad- Meatloaf
4) Name- Goo Goo Dolls
5) Only The Good Die Young- Billy Joel
6) Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin
7) Wild Horses- The Rolling Stones
8) Let It Be- The Beatles
9) Let Her Cry- Hootie and the Blowfish
10) Hotel California- The Eagles
1) kansas - Carry On My Wayward Son
2) Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
3) The Eagles - Hotel California
4) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
5) AC/DC - Back In Black
6) Linkin Park - Numb
7) Breaking Benjamin - Blow Me Away
8) Aerosmith - Sing for the moment
9) The Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
10) Triumph - Lay It On The Line
Into the Mystic Van Morrison
Battle Scar- Max Webster/Rush
Madman across the water- Elton john
Imagine -John Lennon
2112-Rush....the whole album is one song:)
Crazy Train- Prince of darkness
Good list. I love Tangerine and it almost took Stairways place on my list.
This is what I love about this sort of discussion: Dan and I have two songs each on our lists that are off of the same albums as each other, but not the same song. Levon/Madman Across the Water; Moondance/Into the Mystic. BTW, if I hadn't imposed my own rule about one song per artist, Into the Mystic would also have been in my Top 10.
Well, guess I'm going to have to see the movie now!
OMG! Top 10. Well that's going to be difficult.. very difficult.
10. Steve Miller Band - Joker.
Who doesn't know this song? Or love to sing it? When I was younger and we went to parties we had a friend who played guitar and I'd always sit and sing this song with him. It's just a fun song.
9. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.
8. Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box.
After he committed suicide I hated him for quite a few years, but he was a musical genius. Just such a waste of great talent.
7. Adele - One and Only.
I had to add Adele simply for the fact that she's one of a very few real talents in today's music. Although I believe that One and Only is really the song that should have been the most hyped on "21".
6. Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know.
I'm actually not a fan of hers. I pretty much hate anything she ever did after "Jagged Little Pill". As a woman though, who has been burned once or twice, it's kind of a mandatory pick.
5.Janis Joplin. Me and Bobby McGee.
4. Barenaked Ladies - Old Apartment.
I went with Old Apartment, but it was a toss up between that and Jane.
3. Tragically Hip - Fiddlers Green.
It was either this or Wheat Kings. I had just had my kids when I heard this song and it spoke to me.
2. Elton John and George Michael - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.
I needed to put both of these guys on my list some how. So here it is. Plus this song always gives me goosebumps.
1. Supertramp - Downstream.
No matter what, this song soothes me.
I had to leave out Beyonce's "Love on Top". I love everything about Beyonce. I also had to leave out Eminem's "Lose Yourself". That guy has talent in what can sometimes be considered a talentless genre. And right now my song of choice all day erryday is Josh Ramsay's cover of "So It Goes". I love this cover. I love everything about it, and I can relate to it in so many ways.
Oh man! Can't believe I left out Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry.
OK, here is my list of top 10!!
1. I Who Have Nothing - Shirley Bassey
2. Riders On The Storm - Doors
3. Money - The Beatles
4. Let There Be Rock - AC/DC
5. Best Of My Love - The Eagles
6. Hand To Mouth - George Michael
7. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman
8. One Moment In Time - Whitney Houston
9. Can You Feel The Love Tonight - Elton John
10. Blondie Maria - Deborah Harry
Thanks for partaking in this guys. If you want to hear us talk about our favourite songs on our lists tune into the Podcast this Thursday!
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.
Helena Bonham Carter
Sons Of Anarchy
The Dark Knight Rises